Thursday, October 22, 2009

Turkey Email

I stepped across the gap that separates the terminal from the airplane and inhaled my last taste of humid hot Indian air, i sat down on my seat and readied my self for the next leg of the journey, I'm finally leaving Asia. I pick up an in flight magazine and start to day dream on where I'm heading, Turkey......


Men with Mustaches in baggy pants slicing meaty Kebabs as it spins around a charcoal flame while dancing in those funny little red hats with a black tassel is what my vivid imagination expected to see when i got off the plane in Istanbul. A huge party with tons of tea the infamous Turkish coffee and plentiful food surrounded by sheep and goat in a country side pick nick. Bottles of Mediterranean wine and a cool breeze as i kick up my feet on a red and white checker blanket while sitting under and olive tree meters from the sea, this is what i thought about. Surely I'm not that naive to expect such a wonderland to exist, but in all honesty i didn't really know what to expect.


What i found was a culture who never really adopted the English language, and really why should they? This was something i was not totally ready for since i was only armed with 15 pages of a guide book which i ripped out of a larger book that remains on my shelves at home collecting dust. Istanbul which held many of my food fantasies did not disappoint in terms of the wonderful kebabs which i inhaled on a bi-daily basis, the presence of the silk road and the spice trade was ever so present when entering the Grand Bazaar (the worlds oldest mall) and the near by Spice Market, where mounds of dry spices coming from as far east as china and as close as the fields of turkey lay in piles ready for purchase.


I couldn't stay in Istanbul for too long but my time there was very pleasant, a city i would love to return to, and looking back after being away from it for nearly a month i already miss it. What is lacking in language and verbal communication is often made up in smiles and generosity, from being offered free tea in Istanbul, or walking through orchards in Capadoccia and being handed some fresh grapes or apples straight off the vine or tree from one of the farmers, i enjoyed talking the one true international language, FOOD. wondering down the rural streets near Goreme (Capadoccia) and watching an old couple slowly stir a bright red sauce over an open fire on the side of the road was a good afternoon, having them break off a big piece of warm fresh bread and ladle a heaping spoon of fresh tomato, red bell pepper, and paprika sauce over it and having that same couple enjoy my smile as the food disappeared into my mouth as quickly as it hit my hand was even better. the burnt roof of my mouth was not so nice, but worth it!


After spending time wandering ancient ruins, enjoying the Mediterranean, climbing Mt. Olympus, I headed to Capoadoccia a awe inspiring part of the world filled with amazing rock formations where refugees of persecution once lived. After spending countless hours on night buses and having the true landscape of turkey hidden from me, i hopped on my favorite mode of transportation, the Scooter, and spent 2 days driving through old towns exploring the center of this rather large country.


Olive trees, grape vines, and small homes which sparsely cover the rather large dusty landscape is what i found. while the Cities are quite modern with all your standard amenities, it is far from the case as you move into the center and head farther east, horse drawn buggy is still a popular means of transportation, farming is still a major source of income and the livelihood for many. a simple and beautiful way of life, personally I'm happy with visiting and don't expect to go MIA any time soon, but it was quite pleasant to explore some of these smaller towns, slowing down life, enjoying a cup of tea and a huge sloppy plate of Izkander Kebab.


A bit difficult to get around at times, the lack of language can limit the variety of food you can get, although the sweets are countless and always pushed in your face, the mustaches are plentiful, the small red hats with a black tassel remain in the tourist stores, and the dancing, baggy pants, meat slicing kebab men will remain in my dreams while the meat that i have devoured will probably remain in my gut for a few more months. I enjoyed Turkey and all the people who I met there.


No comments: