Friday, October 23, 2009

Boating on the Med

I'm staring at the mid day sky and i had lost my personal battle not to give in to the ultimate cliche in music selection, but hell with blue skies, the sun bright and hot, and while laying on my back on the roof of a yacht nothing sounds better than playing a little Bob Marley "don't worry, about a thing, cause every little thing, gunna be alright...."


I had 4 days on the Mediterranean with 15 guests, 3 crew, and the beautiful Turkish coast line to explore. the guest comprised of a few Aussie females with a couple of their male partners, a mother daughter duo, two Aussie guys, a Texan woman, and a French Canadian woman with hairy armpits who was as crazy as bat shit but made me laugh, and my younger Swedish friend it was a good crew. Much better than the bunch i sailed with in northern Vietnam all 60+ year old french speakers, i was excited for a few relaxing days of nothing.

Still staring into space i think about boarding the boat dropping off my pack in my crowded, tiny, cabin i will be sharing with the 2 Aussie guys, an i knew as i set my pack down that i would only be using that room to change. i would be sleeping exactly where i lay, on the roof of the boat, under the stars, i would be swimming, reading, and relaxing. with the boat sailing east i momentarily drifted off to sleep to the melodic sounds of Marley belting out one of this classics. The gentle rocking of the boat only encouraged my eye lids to shut a bit tighter. Half day dreaming and half asleep i fantasized about small coastal towns, fresh sea food, cool clear Mediterranean water, cold beers in the hot sun, broken Roman and Greek ruins scattered about the coast line, and soaking it all in on the boat with no shirt and no shoes.


The boat had stopped rocking, my ipod had run out of power and the metallic sound of the thick anchor chain clinking against the metal lead on its way off the boat and into the water prompted me to open my eyes. my day dream fantasy was an immediate reality as we were stopping off the coast of St. Nicholas Island. Filled with crumbling old churches and homes, the tiny island speckled in olive trees and rugged oceanic rock was the part of the beauty i had come to see. I open my eyes wide and in the distance I could see the quaint city of Kas and the rapidly approaching blue water of St. Nic's bay, crashing through the surface head first i opened my eyes to take in the stunning clarity of the Mediterranean water. I floated to the surface and laying on my back facing the mid afternoon sun and i smiled, i was happy to have a few more days of this wonderful life.

No comments: