Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Three Months in Sydney


Three more months have drifted by here in Sydney Australia while I sweat it out working at one of the newest and certainly more “flash”restaurants in Sydney. Niel Perry’s Rockpool Bar and Grill was agreat place to come and learn. Certainly in this world, it is who youknow and not always what you know, having a well-respected contact inthe international food scene is never a bad thing, also, as imaginedit was a fantastic experience.
Opportunities in life present them selves every day, I think somethingas simple as an idea or as imaginative as a dream can be considered anopportunity if you just act on it. Letting the days pass you by without really “living” is a crime, I have done it in the past and I knowit will be present in my future, but while given the opportunity, Irefuse to live a menial life at the present. Being overlyappreciative to Chef Perry and Chef Danis for letting me into theirkitchen, I’ll be taking some of their clout with me and will beleaving Sydney in less than a month.
The opportunity in Sydney to grow as a chef are great, the excitementof being surrounded by talented chefs and new cuisine is awesome, thelearning opportunities are endless, but opportunity is not always inthe form of work. The pleasure of life which is something I havedenied my self of in the past (as we all have) has taken center stage,and as Sydney has become redundant; not so much in the scene of work,but in terms of living and enjoying life, I’m now feeling the urge tomove on. I can’t thank the people enough who have taken me in and helped me make this leg of my journey so worthwhile. It is veryseldom in any profession that you would be welcomed in with open armsfor a pre-disclosed period of time, especially one as short as 3months.
With new dreams and ideas becoming potential opportunities, I am happily focused on the months to come. I’m dreaming big, places Iwould like to go are endless, but as always your resources can belimiting, so where to next. Ironically it is looking like I will bereturning to India roughly a-year-to-date, from my arrival in Mumbai,September 4, 2008. I can still remember the crowded streets, the loudnoises, the poverty, and the astounding amounts of people, I’m notreturning for the chaos of India, but better yet for a greatexperience cooking with some locals in the city of Chennai. I alsoreturn with a better knowledge of the culture and people and I’m moreequipped to tackle travel with in the country, with so much to see,do, and eat there, it was only a matter of time until I returned.
Will I make it back to India? Who knows, but that is the plan for now.


Rockpool bar and grill:
Spice temple, worked a week here (owned by the same chef): http://www.rockpool.com.au/sydney/spice-temple/

No comments: