Monday, March 9, 2009

Cambodia

Cambodia:
Phenom Pehn: good lord I spent way too much time here but it was a city that caught me by surprise, with Zero expectations of a city I showed up after eating relatively bland food in Laos, to be surprised by the interesting variety that Cambodia had to offer. Staying “lake side” in a bit of a touristy/back packers area, I found my self trapped in Laos mode (slow moving lazy days). Going to the Dump to feed children was an activity that was rewarding and worth doing, a brilliant experience. Going to the “killing fields” and seeing S-21 which is the Genocide war Museum is a must do. Other than that, the Capital does not have too much more to offer, I managed to stretch my stay into 7 days.


Seam Reap: Catering to the mass amounts of tourists, this is a unique city that is located minutes away from Angkor Wat. Hotels and restaurants is what you will find here as well as a couple of markets which are cookie cutters of one another, selling the same trinkets and beads as the next guy, the most commonly heard phrase “hey mr. you buy??”gets a bit old after a while. The abundance of Tuk Tuk drives can begin to rattle your head a bit, but using humour is how I deal with most bothersome situations so after being asked “where you going” a 1000 times, my answer soon became “crazy man…. I’m going CRAZY” followed by the universal twirely/ swirling finger pointed at my head, a smile and a laugh, most of the time it was well received, and to the others… well the hell with them.

Angkor Wat: was a brilliant place to visit, not being a person who is too impressed by temples, and only going to 2 monistaries out of 8 that I could have graced in Tibet, I was thoroughly impressed and enjoyed my visit to these temples. Only spending one day there was OK for me, I could have easily paid the extra $20 and stayed for 3, but in an attempt to keep moving and being cheap I opted for a good 8 hours of touring, starting with the 5:30am sun rise. If I went back the $10, 10min. hot air balloon ride for sunrise would be on the top of my list.


PHOTOS OF CAMBODIA:


http://picasaweb.google.co.in/vaccaro.marc24/MarcvaccaroCambodia?feat=directlink


No comments: