Sunday, January 4, 2009

December 31st, 2008



December 31st, 2008
The time is around 11:00pm, I have been in the Sala Phuket kitchen for about 3 weeks now, learning, observing, and hanging with the staff and chef. I think I have things dialed in, but all of a sudden an order is called, I’m more or less put in charge of bumping out 40+ passion fruit soufflés. Am I desert guy? No, Not a shot in hell. Do I like whipping egg whites, folding them into a passion fruit mixture I prepped a day ago, putting my faith in the constant temperature of the oven as this delicate desert takes it’s time to rise light and fluffy, slapping it on a plate with a Crème Brule trio, a hot and cold sabayon milk shake, that my “team” was prepping, and praying that it gets to the table before it “falls,” it was a bit unnerving for a minute or two. Actually it was a semi frantic half hour, but when customers where happily fed, that new years toast at midnight was oh so sweet.

Taking a step back and thinking about it, there is no other way i would have wanted to spend my new years eve here in thailand. I had the time of my life, cooking with Thai people, working hand and hand with the Chef Jan. Helping out to design and execute the Menu, helping Jan better his restaurant (menu), better his knowledge, his staffs knowledge, while taking it all in and getting a chance to learn more than everyone else. It was fantastic, new years behind “the line” it was something I won’t forget.

No comments: