Monday, December 22, 2008

Leaving Hong Kong

I hear my alarm going off, the buzzer, ringing in my ear, my eyes are sealed shut, my head throbbing, and my mouth as dry as could be. I was in my friend Russ’s apartment in Honk Kong where I had stayed the past two nights (if you includ 1 hour of sleep a “night”). I was told if you are going to do Honk Kong correctly you need a good night out on the town, and stumbling through Russ’s door at 6:30am was exactly that, an expensive, but unique night out on the town.

Operating on pure instinct and zero sleep, I jump in the shower, pack my bag, say good bye to my very gracious host and run out the door and down to the PACKED commuter subway system. My eyes start to get heavy, my bag on my shoulders, feels like 1000lbs and I wondered why the hell I stayed up to 6:30am, sure the live band was great, but this was painful. I get to the airport after changing subways in “central” and realize that I’m kind of running a bit late. My mouth still dry as can be, my head still throbbing and now I'm running down the terminal, i can see my gate, an empty lobby sent a wave of panic through my body. The attendant smiles as she waves me on, I’m the last one to board my flight.

As I get on my Air Asia flight, I can’t help but notice the profound selective hiring of 20 – 30 year old attractive women who crew the plane as your hostesses, not a man to be seen. Thank god because the outfits were a bit revealing. I sit down in my small cramped seat that was clearly designed for a 4’ tall tiny asian person, and I start to laugh, “I believe in miracles” (wont you come along, you sexy thing), is bumping over the loud speaker. I put my head back and close my eyes, because I made it, soon I would be off to Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: